Friday, November 10, 2006

Im going to Med School

This is what my befuddled friend exhasperated to me over the phone last night. Dr. Quinn, medicine woman (aka Courtney Patterson) proceeds to tell me that after 3 months of working the grind at a graphics company, she is bored and disgruntled with her career life. Despite the comfortable chair, limitless coffee, and convenient scheduling, she is ready to take on biopsies and dialysis procedures. I asked her about the needles, and after a little 'eeee" noise, she confessed that she will find a medical profession that is needle-less. Great, give her a rubber mallet and knees and she'll be set.

She found a little comfort in talking to me because i feel whats she's going through. We have an unguided ambition- a strong desire to find that one job that we are passionate about and couldn't picture ourselves doing anything else. It's interesting that I had that discussion as I walked in the door of the Woffords for the UC bible study. We attempted to watch a movie, but the language got pretty bad so we decided to open up a Psalms and study instead. I don't think the kids were really feeling the bible study, but I was drinking it in.

Ps 73 is a pretty long chapter that was written by a Godly man named Asaph. The passage hits me hard because in the beginning, he almost sounds suprised about his circumstance:

1A psalm of Asaph. Surely God is good to Israel,
to those who are pure in heart.

2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
I had nearly lost my foothold.

3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. [a]

"I almost slipped up"... he caught himself desiring what the arrogant had. The wicked were so prosperous, walking around with their decorated camels/goats with their tresure chests like they are straight out of the sultans palace in Aladdin. I'm willing to bet that Asaph didn't even pay much attention to the fact that they were "wicked" or not. He realized that afterward. He saw all the stuff and "happiness" and wondered why he didn't have what they had and how he could get it. Some how, along the way he realized that he was trippin'.

14 All day long I have been plagued;
I have been punished every morning.

16 When I tried to understand all this,
it was oppressive to me

17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.

Asaph just couldn't figure out. As he was walking down the streets, he saw people struting their stuff, heard news stories about the succesful, and watched himself fall in the toilet and just couldn't figure out what he was missing in his life. At least until he ventured into the sanctuary of God. This isn't something fantastically mystical; he just walked into a tabernacle or quiet area and listened to what God had to say. He cleared his mind to focus on the promises God made, not his business co-horts.
I know the plague that Asaph faced. Everyday, I had thought "something is missing." I don't know if that's a wife, job, masters degree, moving home, missions, ministry, change in career, road trip, friend... the only thing that can answer my questions is falling in to the sanctuary of God. That's going to be my focus over the next week.

23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.

24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.

25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Word Dawg...

Potter

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how is it that you can put into words what i need to read at just the right time? thanks friend

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home